Monday 28 March 2011

Laura Carlin

We had a super talk from LAURA CARLIN on Wednesday.


I have admired Laura's work for some time but haven't ever been able to see the full array as she doesn't put much work online, and as I have now found out, only released limited numbers of books and they all sell out at her exhibitions! Alas, alak.

So this was great as I got to see loads and loads of her work, and speak to her. It was great super great. Last year my tutor Amanda recommended I look at her really nice book about the night her dad was conceived, told from 4 perspectives. I finally got to see it which was great. 

I felt like the talk really re-enforced what i've been thinking about within my illustration work- the balance of putting your work in public and being ready to do that, having confidence in your work, playing on your strengths, the importance of drawing and of FUN, good advice on how to illustrate a text, 'style', ("Style is a word that should be banned"-LC). 

I have also wanted to use ceramics for quite some time- I don't know how or what but the ceramics department of Camberwell is shutting this year and I would love to try before then! And Laura showed us some really beautiful painted ceramics that she's been working on, which just re-enforced my wishes.



All in all, very inspiring. I left the lecture looking all around at the world like I want to draw THAT i want to draw THAT TOO oh i want to draw THAT ASWELL. Great.

"DEFINE WHAT YOUR OOOOMPH IS"
-Laura Carlin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.