Saturday 25 September 2010

1/10 Francois and The Atlas Mountains- Hold On Twice

The first in my posts on 10 images that I like is this hand drawn animation by Francois Marry.  As well  as being a talented animator, he also writes and plays great music, under the name 'Francois and the Atlas Mountains'.

The video is for a song, 'Hold On Twice' from the album 'Brother'.  I love how fluid it is, and the slow rhythm of the music with the flickering drawings. The beginning portraits are of Franz Kafka, Marguerite Yourcenar, Albert Camus, Boris Vian, Cesare Pavese, and Olivier Adam, and then the dancing man is Francois himself. He is terribly good at animating himself.  Francois once told me that these animations take him about a month solid to do. He goes back to France and draws away. I'm glad for that.

This video was the first I ever heard or saw of his work, and still today I could watch it over and over. For me, Francois reminds me what you can do when you set your mind to it, what glorious things can be achieved through thinking, and how to live life well. If you can see him live, do. It's something to dance for.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.